TBA is an identity management server

Hi!

We have been willing to adopt ORY for over a year now.

One of the new tasks that we will have to implement is identity management, or migrate from Spring security custom development.

We are on standby, our rational was to better use ORY identity management from the start, perhaps contribute to its development instead of building our own.

But we keep checking every month this community, the blog and github, and we are not sure anything is happening. It is also not listed in the “What’s Next” post of June.

Our question to the ORY community is: Is there going to be an ORY identity management server in the foreseeable future or not?

Perhaps the announcement is damaging adoption of ORY. For us is one of the components to start with, so… the announcement has a freezing effect.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s a lot of work though so please stay with us :wink: If you wish to help us, consider sponsoring our open source work as it helps us allocate more resources (programmers) towards the open source efforts (docs, software, testing) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry I missed the repo… thanks.

My original idea was to join the effort as developer and use the opportunity to get some go skill.

I will review what there is and try to contribute.

I see two authors of the module, you are one of them right?

Yes! Thank you for considering to contribute to the eco system! It’s currently not easy to contribute as there are examples and docs missing, as well as well defined tasks. We’re working on improving that situation but the priority right now is getting to the first release which includes some internal architectural improvements.

Yes, I did review a bit and noticed.
Actually I thought in starting contributing on the Docs and examples as a way to get familiar with the project.
Also noticed that there are no unit tests, or at least I did could not see there in the CI.

Let me review a bit more and will get back to you.

Yes, that would be super helpful! I’ve started a PR in the docs: https://github.com/ory/docs/pull/99

We do have some internal integrations (hive basically works like hydra when it comes to ui) but these are for the cloud service we’re launching, so we don’t have them in the open right now. We’re starting full throttle again in a week (parts of the team are on vacation this one). Maybe we can churn something out in Oct/Nov to get at least something very basic running.

The PR was useful as there is some documentation
Cloned the repo and managed to build and kick the docker

honestly, more than I expected to achieve :stuck_out_tongue: this morning

Agreed, having a minimum sample running, and perhaps a little doc on how to get it to running is a must so that anybody can contribute.

I have reviewed a bit the code (and started to look into go), I see loads of features which on one hand is very good news, but on the other would be nice to pick the bare minimum to get something basic running.

Like password auth, with reset password and one backend only, even if in-memory.

You can feel free to share privately those integrations and maybe I can try to turn them into a generic sample integration, or white-pages sample… etc.

Are there unit tests? I could not identify any.

I have reviewed a bit the code (and started to look into go), I see loads of features which on one hand is very good news, but on the other would be nice to pick the bare minimum to get something basic running.

We do have this working internally but there’s some entanglement with our proprietary cloud platform which is currently being developed which makes it hard for us to release (plus lack of resources as always haha)

You can feel free to share privately those integrations and maybe I can try to turn them into a generic sample integration, or white-pages sample… etc.

I will try my best to follow up on that this month!

Like password auth, with reset password and one backend only, even if in-memory.

Passsword and OIDC auth are working. Password reset, account activation are scheduled for the second milestone as they need a message transport system (sms, email, …) which is not yet designed. A SQL backend exists already.

Are there unit tests? I could not identify any.

Of course! We would never write any piece of software without tests. In Go, you can find tests in the *_test.go files.

I just tried “go test”, is it “make cover” how you run them?

Sorry, I am not yet familiar with go project structure… I expected a test folder.

mabe this:

[rafael@asusraf hive]$ go test ./...
?   	github.com/ory/hive	[no test files]
?   	github.com/ory/hive/cmd	[no test files]
?   	github.com/ory/hive/cmd/client	[no test files]
?   	github.com/ory/hive/cmd/daemon	[no test files]
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/driver	16.542s
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/driver/configuration	0.019s
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/errorx	0.047s
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/identity	13.196s
?   	github.com/ory/hive/internal	[no test files]
?   	github.com/ory/hive/notify	[no test files]
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/schema	0.017s
?   	github.com/ory/hive/sdk/go/hive/client	[no test files]
?   	github.com/ory/hive/sdk/go/hive/client/admin	[no test files]
?   	github.com/ory/hive/sdk/go/hive/models	[no test files]
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/selfservice	14.701s
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/selfservice/hooks	0.016s
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/selfservice/oidc	17.215s
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/selfservice/password	1.353s
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/session	8.463s
?   	github.com/ory/hive/verify	[no test files]
ok  	github.com/ory/hive/x	0.031s
``

Yup exactly

Ok @hackerman , I will continue to review the code and wait for the sample integration to get something running.